The Miami University Libraries seeks an enthusiastic, knowledgeable, proactive and service oriented Digital Collections Librarian for the new Steward and Sustain department. The position requires a self-motivated, creative, client-centered librarian who is committed to providing excellent customer service and who remains knowledgeable of emerging trends in libraries, special collections, and information technology.
Reporting to the Head of Steward and Sustain, the Digital Collections Librarian manages the daily operations related to the processing, digitization, organization, and access of special collections and university archives materials. Supports the efforts of the Miami University Library in digitally preserving the culture and history of the university and the libraries collections.
- Manages and organizes processes and workflows for digital projects from analog and born-digital resources in various media formats.
- Ensures availability of digitized materials.
- Collaborates with external partners to promote discovery of cultural resources.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to design and implement projects in support of the university’s educational mission.
- Coordinates and works cooperatively with appropriate staff to digitize materials and make them available.
- Works with the Metadata Librarian to describe and organize digitized materials.
- Participate in Steward and Sustain instruction.
- General research assistance electronically and in person.
- Maintains knowledge of library trends and best practices in academic libraries.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited university in Library and Information Science.
- Experience digitizing and handling archival materials and/or rare books and ephemera.
- Knowledge of metadata standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, DACS, MODS, METS, etc.
- Working knowledge of archival and/or digital content management systems such as ArchivesSpace, Archivist’s Toolkit, CONTENTdm, and/or Omeka.
- Working knowledge of digitizing equipment and associated software.
- Strong commitment to high quality public service in a customer service oriented environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a team to produce targeted outcomes.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work to ensure goals are realized.
- Enthusiasm and capability to independently identify and develop professional skills.
- Ability to meet Miami University Libraries continuing contract and promotion requirements http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/about/larps.pdf.
- Appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Librarian dependent upon qualifications.
- Project management experience.
- Two (2) years of professional experience digitizing and handling archival materials and/or rare books and ephemera.
- Experience working with various file formats, file naming best practices, and workflow design.
- Experience with arrangement and description of archival materials, rare books, and ephemera.
- Familiarity with markup programming languages.
- Experience in digital exhibition design and/or digital humanities.
- Experience writing and administering grants.