The application period for the Society of American Archivists’ (SAA) Mosaic Scholarship is currently open, with a deadline of February 28, 2018.
The Mosaic Scholarship provides financial and mentoring support to minority students pursuing graduate education in archival science, encourages students to pursue a career as an archivist, and promotes the diversification of the American archives profession. The award is given to applicants who demonstrate excellent potential for scholastic and personal achievement and who manifest a commitment both to the archives profession and to advancing diversity concerns within it.
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
- Must be of American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander descent.
- Must be currently enrolled in a graduate program or a multi-course program in archival administration, or have applied to such a program for the next academic year. (The graduate program must offer at least three courses in archival science or be listed in the current SAA Directory of Archival Education. If the program is not listed in the SAA Directory of Archival Education, the applicant must provide proof of the three-course standard by submitting copies of course descriptions from the institution’s current course catalog.)
- Shall have completed no more than half of the credit requirements toward her/his graduate degree at the time of award (i.e., June 1).
- Must be enrolled in a graduate program and begin school no later than September 1 or the fall semester/quarter immediately following the award. Otherwise the award will be rescinded.
- May have full-time or part-time status.
- Must submit a 500-word report to the SAA Council upon completion of the second semester.
As the SAA and SAA Foundation budgets permit, up to two scholarships of $5,000 each. In addition, each scholarship recipient receives a one-year complimentary membership in the Society of American Archivists and complimentary registration to the Society’s Annual Meeting for the year in which the scholarship is received.
Application Deadline and Requirements:
Click here to preview the application and/or to apply. All applications must be submitted by February 28 of each year and include the following:
- A cover letter stating interest in the scholarship and how the applicant meets eligibility requirements.
- Official transcripts from the applicant’s most recent academic program. NOTE: Allow enough time to get transcripts by application deadline.
- Essay of not more than 500 words outlining the applicant’s interests and future goals in the archives profession.
- Two letters of recommendation. NOTE: Please notify your references ahead of time. Your references will need to upload their letters of recommendation to your online form by the application deadline.