Apply 2019 ALA Emerging Leader

Apply to Participate in the 2019 Class of ALA Emerging Leaders

The Minnesota Library Association is sponsoring an ALA Emerging Leader for 2019 and we urge members to consider applying for the program. Sponsorship includes up to $1000 towards expenses to attend the ALA Midwinter Meeting and the Annual Conference ($500 for each conference). The American Library Association is accepting applications through August 31, 2018. Apply now! If you select MLA as your sponsor when applying, please note that you need to be an MLA member and an ALA member.

The ALA Emerging Leaders program is a leadership development program which enables newer library workers from across the country to participate in problem-solving work groups, network with peers, gain an inside look into ALA structure, and have an opportunity to serve the profession in a leadership capacity. It puts participants on the fast track to ALA committee volunteerism as well as other professional library-related organizations.

Want to know more? Here’s what 2018 ALA Emerging Leader Tasha Nins (MLIS Alum) had to say about her participation in the program:

Through the support of my library mentors, supervisors and MLA I was able to be a part of the 2018 class of ALA Emerging Leaders and it was the most wide-reaching experience I have had so far in my career! My team and I were tasked with collecting research and developing training on the topic of microaggressions in youth librarianship for ALSC. Through our work, we were able to connect with library workers from around the country to challenge societal and cultural norms that negatively impact those we serve in libraries.

Having the opportunity to attend both ALA Midwinter and ALA Annual also gave me the chance to build professional connections that have helped me to grow the scope of my career by learning about innovations in librarianship around the world that I can bring back to my own workplace. In addition to all of this, it is also a great boost to your resume!

If you have any questions about the program, please feel free to email me at tashanins [at] gmail.com.