The APALA Scholarship will provide financial assistance to a student of Asian or Pacific background who is enrolled in, or has been accepted into, a master’s or doctoral degree program in library and/or information science at a school accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
Eligibility Criteria for the Award
- Applicant must be attending or admitted into a master’s degree or doctoral program in library and/or information science at a school accredited by ALA.
- Applicant may be either a full-time or part-time student.
- Applicant must be in library school by Fall 2019.
- Applicant must be of Asian/Pacific Islander heritage.
- Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U. S. or Canada.
- Applicant must be an APALA member in good standing by application deadline.
- Recipient may not receive more than one APALA scholarship award.
- Recipient will serve on the Scholarship Committee the following year.
How to Apply
Complete the APALA Scholarship online application by April 1, 2019.
Selection Procedures and Timeline
- Applications Due: April 1, 2019
- Applicants Notified of Final Decision: May 1, 2019
- Recipient Announced: May 15, 2019
- The APALA Scholarship shall be administered under the By-Laws of APALA.
- One $1000 scholarship will be awarded. The funds are given in $500 payments at the beginning of fall and spring semesters. However, if the Scholarship Fund should grow to an extent that sufficient income is available to finance more than one scholarship in a given year, the Scholarship & Awards Committee shall have the authority to award additional scholarships as authorized by the Executive Board. Additional scholarships will be awarded based on the same criteria and factors stated above.
- A Scholarship check distributed to the Recipient after proof of enrollment for the fall or spring semester in an accredited graduate program are provided.
- In the event that no applicants satisfy the selection criteria in a given year, no scholarship will be awarded, with the option to grant additional scholarships the following year.
- Members of the Scholarship & Awards Committee are ineligible for any of the awards. If a Scholarship & Awards Committee member would like to apply for an award, they need to step aside from the selection committee for that specific award.
- An APALA member who receives any APALA grant/award may not receive another grant/award in the same year.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the APALA Scholarships & Awards Committee: email@example.com